The line of cars waiting to get into America
Looking to the bridge to America from Mexico
The walk back to America - this view is from Mexico looking at the US
Matt waiting in line to get into America
The morning of September 6th, Jamie flew out for vacation and Matt and I woke up early for a quick excursion to Mexico! We decided to cross the border and have breakfast before leaving for Las Cruces. We parked the truck in a lot on the US side and walked the bridge over to Mexico. It was only 30 cents to get into Mexico! Once we got there we found a little breakfast place near the border. Thank goodness Matt knows Spanish reasonably well or I would have been so lost...
After breakfast we walked into a few little shops to browse. We didn't have a lot of time to waste because we had to drive an hour to Las Cruces by 1:00 so we decided it would be best to leave Mexico early to ensure that we would get through customs with enough time to spare.
As we passed through security to head back to America it was once again 30 cents to cross. The officer at customs scanned my license and then mumbled something to me and I thought he asked for my social security number so I was prepared to ramble that off, but he said "No, your citizenship." It felt weird to be asked that, extremely appropriate, but odd. I responded to him with a rather weak "American" response and I think that he felt the need to question me a bit further to make sure I was legitate. He proceeded to ask where I was going and what the reason was and then let me through :-) Ahhhh, America!
When we got back to the truck, Matt realized that the alarm system lock had fallen off of his key chain. Because the truck was alarmed, this presented a problem. The alarm continually went off, the truck wouldn't start due to the alarm going off and we had no clue what to do. Good thing for Matt's iPhone. He googled the company that made the alarm and gave them a call. In his words, he "had to McGiver the alarm" and disconnect some wires so that the alarm would stop.
We were now out two car alarm remotes (yes, they were both on the same keychain), but were able to head to New Mexico to load the trailer in for that evening's event.
No comments:
Post a Comment