Jamie refueling the stupid magnum;-)
I decided to try bull riding one night...and was not very good
Unhitching the truck all dressed up.
Jamie and I left Utah on Sunday, August 12th and made the drive to Nampa, Idaho. Nampa is located between Boise and Caldwell (the location of our event). The event in Caldwell was the Caldwell Night Rodeo. Apparently, it's one of the few night rodeos remaining and is a fairly touted rodeo for Pro Rodeo. The rodeo didn't begin until Tuesday, August 14th, but we were invited to a media dinner on Monday night, post load-in. Because Jamie and I had never been to a media dinner for a rodeo we weren't sure what to wear. When speaking with our on-site contact, Bill Bailey, before load-in we asked what the appropriate attire for such an event would be. Bill said that some people get really dressed up and others just wear jeans and a button down so there would be a mix of everything. Jamie and I felt we should get somewhat dressed up so she wore a cute dress and I wore black pants and a nice top.
Upon arrival for load-in (in high heels), we quickly realized that we were WAY over-dressed. Apparently Bill's idea of dressed up was a bit different then ours. Everyone there was wearing Wranglers and button down shirts...not to mention cowboy hats. We stuck out like two sore thumbs!
Dinner was good, sort of like a summer barbeque. Everyone was supper friendly and we had the opportunity to meet a few of the radio station employees before the concert. After dinner, everyone headed over to hear watch the Crossin' Dixon concert in the rodeo arena. They sounded great. It was a great performance.
Matt flew into Boise on Tuesday evening and then joined us for for the event from Wednesday on. We also had the chance to meet our supervisor's parents (they currently live in Nampa) for lunch one afternoon. Furthermore, while in Nampa we had to bring our sick truck into the FORD dealership to have repairs done. The rental car we received was a Ford Magnum...I wanted our truck back:-(
The actual rodeo began on Tuesday and lasted through Saturday. Our hours were extremely short for this event, which was a good thing because it got extremely hot around late afternoon in Idaho. We would be setup by 6:00 every night and only be operating until about 10:00 each night. After we closed down we had the opportunity to go watch the rodeo. It was cool to see a true rodeo and the first time I had ever seen a full fledge rodeo. I've been to PBR once before, but never seen the whole deal. It was a whole new experience for me and we got to learn a bit more about how rodeo is scored and about the other events as well.
The atmosphere at the rodeo was really fun, after the cowboys were finished competing they would hang out by the beer stands and mingle. Also, several nights after the rodeo there was a dance right on location. We went to the dance two of the nights following the rodeo. I have never seen so many cowboys in my life. They all liked to dance too. Several cowboys took Jamie and I out on the dance floor and twirled us around. I didn't know what I was doing, but pretended and just let them twirl me around the floor, hoping not to trip over my feet.
We met a cowboy who had Tony Lama (a brand of cowboy attire) embroidered on his shirt and joked that he was the actual Tony Lama, in fact, we began to refer to him as Tony Lama so much that I think they began to think we believed he was "the" Tony Lama. We thought this was especially funny because of the pics from Park city - look at the of Jamie and I with the giant Tony Lama boots!
Oh, I almost forgot that Jamie and I decided to be big kids and buy T-shirts that say "Future Caldwell Night Rodeo Star"...what a great buy;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment